Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Night Owl

"Night Owl & Day Owl"



Well I don't often tell anyone about the story of the White Owl because some people get freaked out or scared by it's meaning, but it holds great significance to me, because it reminds me of my Nan.

About 3-4 years ago I was teaching at the Yurauna Centre at the Canberra Institute of Technology and I would pass Sydney often where my Mum lives.
She mentioned to me 1 day that she kept seeing a White Owl in broad daylight sitting in a tree directly above her work in Campbelltown.

So I decided to investigate as I usually do and we were having a 'Welcome to Country' at the Centre in Canberra where I was working at the time, where Elder Aunty Agnes joined us.
I decided to ask her and she let me know the meaning of  'White Owl' being a messenger of death and that someone in the family was due to pass on, these are the stories that are connected to Ngunnawal Land in Canberra.
I immediately went back to my mother and told her, most people don't believe such stories, anyway within a few months my Nana died (My mothers Mum).

For a long time before this I use to see Owls alot in my travels around Australia, from these experiences I came to learn that the Owl is one of my totems, amongst others. Since my time in Canberra I have had many people come to me telling me of their experience of 'White Owl' especially family members.

I'd like to pay my respect to Aunty Agnes for sharing this story with me and the Aboriginal people of Ngunnawal Land in Canberra. I never paint the 'White Owl' only the meaning behind it and it's spiritual connection to the Land and it's people. I share these stories to you to give respect & honor to those who shared them with me & in doing so keep the spirit of Aboriginal Australia & it's people alive.

I'd love to hear your experience of 'White Owl', please feel free to share them with me here and I will --> endeavour to put them all on my website when it's finished.

 Copyright © by Mirree and all rights reserved by the Artist.

 Follow or purchase Mirree's Art:
www.dreamsofcreation.com
http://www.facebook.com/ArtworksbyMirree
http://www.facebook.com/artbymirree

No comments:

Post a Comment